Tuesday 19 June 2012

Should you buy this app ?

iphone-appsI am one of those individuals who buy apps because of their intelligence and technology unlike consumers who download out of need. I love the developer community and the interesting apps which they create. However many times these apps sound great when your read about them but not been able to execute what their description says. 


I don't search an app to make my life easier or efficeint rather download ones which have recieved early traction, featured in apple new apps section or highlighted by a number of interesting folks I follow on twitter. I have also created multiple country Apple store accounts, because not all apps are launched in the Asia or Middle-East. In doing so I must have downloaded a number of apps including paid ones. However I have to be honest, I delete about 70% of the apps in the first month. Below are some of paid apps which I have 

Due App - To do app, which received excellent early reviews, however overtime native Reminder app of iPhone with its location based reminders and integration with iCloud definitely beats 

Evernote - I signed up for Evernote last year and used it it extensively for two months before returning to my basics; making notes and saving 

Flighttrack - $10 app is a complete waist if you don't travel very frequently. I remember downloading the app to keep up to date with various visitors coming to see me in Bangalore. However the happiness was short 

iMovie & iPhoto - I am not in movie editing and the best photo editing I have done is via Instagram. I bought these $5 apps the moment they were announced, shows my true love for apple. I don't remember launching them again after the first 

Read it Later (Pro) - I blame this on the company, I loved Read It Later services and hence decided to credit the developers by upgrading from the lite version. Within 2 months of purchase, the company announced complete revamp of their services and renamed themselves as Pocket and made a stand alone free app. 

Shazam - Another technology I really loved but not able to make the most from the paid version. Recommend fellow readers to stick to the free app.

Angry birds - You know why. Completed only two levels.

Itranslate voice - I have always lived in nations which do not speak my mother tongue and I hoped this app would help me mingle easily. However this translation app offered little help, as I was not able to use it when the moment actually arrived.

Myphone+ - Apple integrates Facebook. Doomed

Whole living - Helps to make smoothies, however finding the ingredients in India is a big challenge.

Wonderful - To Do app, never got anything special out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment