Wednesday 20 June 2012

Why only IIT or IIM alumni ?

I read a lot of technology business news and greatly interested in the individuals who are involved, particularly Indians. Its a matter of great pride to see Indians being recognised at global level or holding executive positions in blue chip companies. I believe one of the ways to excel is to follow the paths of successful people and over the past one year, I have been learning about successful or interesting Indians in the tech and money space.

I ensure to extensively google any Indian surname I come across in my day to day reading of tech and business articles, find their origin and education background. LinkedIn and Twitter have been really handy, however I do not shy away from sending these individuals friend request on Facebook and subscribing to their blogs.

However I am disappointed by a trend which I have noticed, which is the mention of either IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) or IIM (Indian Institute of Management) in most of their profile. Initially, it was inspiring to see our top universities yield global citizens but soon reality struck me about lack of education offered by other universities.

I started asking this question to my friends, who are associated with these elite institutes and below are their answers

  1. "The biggest lesson IIT has taught me is to become task oriented instead of day oriented" IIT 2010  -  ie.  Complete the job,  before your rest your laurels no matter how long it takes.
  2. "Our alumni network is very strong and open" current IIM student

So that explains why IIT and IIM individuals are out there making a difference or money, but it does not answer the bigger issue; what about other universities ?

I shall be writing more about my journey as I continue to research interesting indian folks out there in the meantime please feel free to comment about your thoughts or findings. In fact while writing this post, I have decided to create an info-graph to back up my post, will be visually appealing too. 

3 comments:

  1. They put pressure on numbers or task not on Inventions!! Thats why country all the talents goes abroad, and because of the lack of interest of business bodies in India, the talent which can be shaped up is get ignored!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, many times such individuals are not respected for their product. India has always been a service dominated rather than product dominated.

      Delete