Monday 15 June 2009

Compete to grow

UN guest house, Delhi

I am currently living in a Guesthouse in Sarita Vihar, which is near the Delhi Badarpur border. I have been given a complete room for myself with someone to cook food for me. My drive to the UNIDO office is around 40 minutes by car, which is the normal driving time in Delhi for a single trip.

My first day at work was pretty much knowing about the office, getting introduced to different staff and knowing various aspects of the organisation. I have been allocated a big room for myself in the office which I share with another Intern, Anna from Italy. She has already spent a month with UNIDO and has studied law. I spend most of my first couple of hours with the Anna going through the basic information about the project and little things to know in the office. The work environment is great, with the staff being very friendly. My normal working hours will be from 0900 hours to 1730 hours although I can be flexible with them, I have to be responsible for my working hours. I was lucky to join them on the day the office was celebrating birthdays of two of their staff. Lunch time was completely chilled, with cakes, pizza and singing birthday carols.

My boss is an Italian and is an impressive man with a great sense of humour. He is the technical director of the project I am working on and I enjoyed two couple of cappuccinos today, since he is a great lover of it.

In the next blog I will be briefly sharing with you about my project, but one of things which today sunk into me while going through the project proposal was the words “compete to grow”. What these words really say is that, competition really brings the best out of a person and for a continuous growth, you need to face competition because without it you will lead to stagnation.

Found a huge park near my place and will start running 6 Km from tomorrow. I will try and run as early in the morning as possible to avoid the hot and humid temperature of Delhi.
Tomorrow I will be meeting a close batch mate from school called Ankit Modi. We were in the same house and he is currently doing an articleship to be a chartered accountant in Kolkata.

As the Italian say ciao !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment